According to the American Gas Association, over 73 million residential, commercial, and industrial buildings use natural gas as a source of energy. While natural gas is a viable option to power appliances and HVAC systems, a gas leak can be extremely dangerous to humans and animals. Natural gas’s toxic nature can lead to negative health effects, such as headaches and fatigue. Most of the time, a natural gas leak remains unnoticed by those in the building, leaving the problem to become progressively worse. There are telltale signs that will be able to help you notice a gas leak, giving you time to get help before disaster strikes. Here is how to detect a gas leak:
Natural gas is characterized by its rotten egg or sulfur smell. If you are noticing this smell in your home, office space, or inside of a commercial building there is a possibility there is a gas leak. You will need to rule out the possibility that the smell isn’t coming from any trash or a refrigerator. To rule these other possibilities out, first or walk around your building to see if the smell follows. If it is not coming from a fridge or a trash can, then you need to evacuate immediately and call a plumbing technician to report the leak.
If you are working near your gas line or near one of your appliances, such as a stove, make sure you are listening closely. A hissing or whistling sound coming from these items means that there is a break or crack in the line and gas is escaping out into your home. If this is the case, you will want to evacuate your house immediately and call a plumbing specialist to help you fix the leak.
Keeping an eye out for any subtle changes around your home is also another way that you can detect a gas leak before it becomes serious. Any dying plants inside or even around the outside walls of your home are tell-tale signs of a problem. This especially true if the plants are only dying around certain areas.
Make sure you inspect any visible gas lines or pipes regularly. This will help you notice any damage or signs of aging before they result in a leak. If you have seen damages, it is important to get the piping or lines fixed by calling a plumbing specialist.
If you begin feeling ill within your home but fine after some time spent out of it, this is another sign of a potential gas leak. A natural gas leak can cause you and your pets, to exhibit any of the following symptoms:
- Breathing difficulties
- Feeling lightheaded
- Flu-like symptoms
- Irritation to the eyes and throat
- Mood changes, including the feeling of anxiety and depression
- Pains in the chest
- Pale skin or blistering
- Reduced appetite
- Ringing in the ears
High levels of gas or prolonged exposure can lead to unconsciousness or death. If you suspect that there is a gas leak within your home, it is essential that you get yourself and any family members or pets out of your home immediately.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 5,149 people died from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States between 1999-2010. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a concern when it comes to a gas leak. Carbon monoxide is created when gas burns incompletely. Exposure can be fatal. Seek out medical attention immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Chest pain
- Loss of muscle control
- Pink skin
- Bright red lips
If you suspect that your home is experiencing a gas leak, then you need to contact Denton Roto-Rooter plumbers immediately. Our expertise will allow us to safely and effectively fix the gas leak within your home, and take precautions to prevent a future leak. Don’t allow a gas leak to control your whole life and call Denton Roto-Rooter today.